Ghee is made from milk and is therefore not vegan. But Ghee is suitable for people with a lactose allergy. This is because the way by which the milk is processed to make Ghee reduces the amount of lactose and casein to negligible levels. This level is so low that it is not a problem for most people with lactose intolerance.   

How is Ghee Made? 


Ghee is made from grass-fed butter, which is made from the milk of cows that eat grass.   

Ghee is a pure form of clarified butter, just like coconut oil, and is made by heating the clarified butter for a long time until all the moisture has evaporated.   

By scooping off the foam layer that floats to the surface, due to the heating, and then pouring the melted butter through a cloth, the milk proteins are sieved out.   

People with a cow’s milk allergy are usually allergic to the milk sugar (lactose) and milk protein (casein). By processing the cow’s milk, the amount of these two substances in the cow’s milk is decreased. From a technical point of view, Ghee does not contain any milk components, because these (milk proteins) disappear during the heating process. 

Go-Keto Bio Ghee is a pure form of clarified butter with a lovely taste, easy to use and without any artificial, allergic or undesirable additives. 

Lactose intolerance 

Ordinary butter consists of 82% fat that comes from milk, and the remaining 18% from proteins, milk sugar and water. Ghee consists of more than 99% fat and therefore contains considerably less milk sugar, protein and other substances.   

Regular milk consists of 5% lactose, Ghee less than 0.0001% lactose. And this extreme low percentage is not a problem for most people with a lactose intolerance.   

Casein free 

Raw milk, whole milk and semi-skimmed milk contain about 3.4 grams of protein per 100 grams. Ordinary butter contains 0.7 grams of protein per 100 grams and it is hardly possible to determine a protein content in clarified butter. Casein, the milk protein, is hardly present in Ghee. Therefor ghee is considered casein free.   

Not vegan 

Because Ghee still contains butterfat and is derived from animal products (milk), it is not considered vegan.  

Paleo and Ghee 

Because Ghee looks like butter and is made from dairy products, Ghee is considered Paleo* friendly because there are no milk solids in the final product. So although followers of the Paleo Diet are not supposed to eat dairy products, Ghee is allowed in a number of Paleo varieties.   

*Paleo Diet are (Paleo diet, Paleolithic diet or hunter-gatherer diet, is based on the supposed diet of the human ancestors in the Paleolithic, ed.)